Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sorry, You Have Expired

Russ's driver license has expired and, due to the new strenuous requirements of the Florida DMV which require multiple documents to establish identity and residency, he has not renewed them. (has it not occurred to anyone that it is probably easier for an illegal immigrant - or God knows a terrorist - to obtain proof of residency than someone who has been licensed to drive for over 30 years with no question?) it sucks.

what's more is that people (ok, specifically banks) with no obvious connection to the department of transportation want to deny you certain privileges just because your government issued ID is no longer valid. (i've had this conversation! "look that's me in the picture. see? here's my birthdate. i've been me for YEARS now. are you saying i'm no longer me because i don't have the money to renew my driver's license? will you cash my check if i promise to walk home?")

is there some cachet to driving one's self around i just don't get? why, just in the very recent past i was the only member of a 5 person household with a valid driver's license. i don't remember any feelings of empowerment or privilege. no, i remember having to get dressed because i had to drive. 


you know what amazes me most about the Lindsay Lohan/Amanda Bynes debacles, why are they driving?? i hate to drive. (ok. honestly, i don't like leaving the house so i'm sure there's a certain amount of spill over.) if i was rich, even semi-/somewhat/more or less rich, i would not be driving. i can't imagine why they are.

can you imagine what their lawyers must be saying? "dammit Lindsay. haven't you been in enough trouble? if you're going to drink or do drugs -- and you are -- do NOT get behind the wheel of a car. seriously! hire a chauffeur, take a cab, ride with a friend, hell! take the damn bus but JUST DON'T DRIVE!" (i get all red and puffy faced just thinking about it.) 

sheesh! my next blog i will go off on Bureaucratic Bullshit and the Title to my Car. see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. I will try to read them and approve them quickly. ~ If you are going to be hateful, just be intelligent. I have no time or patience for raging idiots as long as bullets are cheap.