Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial Day Was Originally Decoration Day

Memorial Day should mean something. It was originally Decoration Day -- a day to honor fallen heroes by placing flowers at their graves. None of us would enjoy the lives we lead if not for the sacrifices made by the men and women in uniform who defend this country.

Now, more than ever, there are graves in every city and town remembering the lives of soldiers who gave their lives in defense of this country. I no longer live close enough to honor the sacrifices made by members of my family but they are never far from my thoughts.

I'm proud to be an American, but i realize i have done so much less than others to earn the right to say that. If you want to remember this summer as more than cookouts and swim parties, take the time to put flowers on the grave of someone who fought for this country. Even if you do not agree with the politics or the politicians, take a moment to appreciate those who serve -- respect those who do what we could not or would not do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. I will try to read them and approve them quickly. ~ If you are going to be hateful, just be intelligent. I have no time or patience for raging idiots as long as bullets are cheap.